Monday, January 2, 2023

A New Year...a New Series

 


One of the regular questions I get

and I think ALL authors get is...

Where do you get your ideas.

So my advice to you is, you need to answer that question,

Not be impatient with it, because you get asked it over and over...but have an answer ready.

And the idea for the Wyoming Sunrise Series came from Women's Suffrage.

Did you all know that Wyoming was the first state in the Union to give women the right to vote?

That seems so odd to me. First of all because it was a heavily MALE state, full of frontier's men, cowboys and miners and just very few women. I read somewhere six adult men for every woman and almost no children.

Also, the legislature was all male.

Click Here for a video of my covers



So how did women get the right to vote in Wyoming?

I've done a lot of research and it's all mixed up with political appointments--the territorial governor was a Republican who was in favor of giving former slaves the right to vote, also the low number of total people--and 'people' meant adult voters--so they needed women to have enough voters...there were a lot of reasons...but bottom line...they did it.

Because women had the right to vote, Wyoming, which became a territory in n1869, wasn't allowed into the Union as a state until right before the turn of the century 30 years. And they were rejected multiple times because.....you can't come in with women voting.

And women's suffrage meant more than just voting. Yes, appointed office, also elected offices...women could run for those. There were property rights laws amended. As things were a woman with a job, and there were very few married women with jobs unless they worked alongside their husbands in a shop, but a woman with a job...her income was sent to her husband and considered his. The minute they married, her property became his. Any inheritance she received was automatically his.

Interestingly, two years after women were given the right to vote...and this included serving on juries, they stripped jury duty from women's right They believed women needed to be sheltered from such ugliness as a trial. Women would become coarse if they had to serve on juries. So suffrage wasn't an easy ruling and a woman's rights weren't that secure.

I also found it pretty funny that one of the women's suffragist's rallying cries was, "If women have the right to vote, there won't be any more wars."

Insert eyeroll, that's not working out.

Utah also gave women the right to vote but, when the Union said, "Nope, you can't become a state...not with women voters."

Utah stripped women of the right to vote and was allowed in right away.

Wyoming refused.

The part of their refusal that I loved was, when the 'behind the scenes' vote counting showed that THIS YEAR it was going to pass there was a riot in Washington D.C. PROTESTS against allowing it. One representative from Wyoming kept shouting the words from a telegram he’d received from the Wyoming legislature: “We will stay out of the Union a hundred years rather than come in without our women.” 

Whoever it was who was shouting it, ended up having to climb a wall somewhere to escape the mob but even as he climbed, he kept yelling, over and over again, “We will stay out of the Union a hundred years rather than come in without our women."

I think we all believe our generation invented hostility between political parties, protests and demonstrations and riots.

Nope.

Reading about this is just full of fascinating information. the next place to allow women the right to vote was New York City...they allowed women to vote in school board elections only.

Shaking my head.


Dakota Territory, it wasn't divided into North and South Dakota then, passed women's suffrage laws multiple times but it was with the understanding that the governor would veto it. So the legislators could look supportive of women voting and never have to actually allow it.


They tried to get the governor of Wyoming Territory to reverse himself on the issue by saying, we're going to give Indians the right to vote and black people. He just said, "Okay, let's do that."


One of my favorite parts of the research was discovering Esther Hobart Morris, only days after women's suffrage was passed, Esther was appointed to the job of Justice of the Peace in South Pass City in Wyoming. I've read since that three women were so appointed at the same time, but I haven't found the other two.

And I decided one of the heroines in my three-book series might as well be one of them. So pretty, delicate Nell, the town seamstress, a frustrating job since there were few women in town and she wants to sew pretty dresses!!! Gets to be a judge.

I had all my heroines play against type.

Book #1 Forged in Love has a woman blacksmith.

Book #2 Laws of Attraction has a woman justice of the peace

Book #3 Marshaling Her Heart (link and cover coming soon!) has a woman rancher...and yeah, I know, a feisty lady rancher is sort of my thing, in fact, I have to try and fight it or I'd make every heroine a feisty lady rancher!!! But I decided I could slip one in this series. 


It all comes back to 'where to you get your ideas.'


So as writers, Seekervillagers, tell me how you get your ideas.

Commenters will get their name in a drawing for a $25 Amazon Gift Card.


Let's talk inspiration.

Forged in Love

coming in February


When sparks begin to fly, can a friendship cast in iron be shaped into something more?

Mariah Stover is left for dead and with no memory when the Deadeye Gang robs the stagecoach she's riding in, killing both her father and brother. As she takes over her father's blacksmith shop and tries to move forward, she soon finds herself in jeopardy and wondering--does someone know she witnessed the robbery and is still alive?

Handsome and polished Clint Roberts escaped to western Wyoming, leaving his painful memories behind. Hoping for a fresh start, he opens a diner where he creates fine dishes, but is met with harsh resistance from the townsfolk, who prefer to stick to their old ways.

Clint and Mariah are drawn together by the trials they face in town, and Clint is determined to protect Mariah at all costs when danger descends upon her home. As threats pursue them from every side, will they survive to build a life forged in love?





66 comments:

  1. I get my ideas from movies. The premise for my current novel is based on The Adjustment Bureau - what if the two people fate drove apart are supposed to be together to save the world? I think my favorite feisty rancher woman you've written is Belle from The Husband Tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Belle. Now there was a feisty woman. I've never seen adjustment bureau. I'll look it up!

      Delete
    2. Sadly, I don’t write but I love trying to stay a step ahead of you while reading your writing. More often than not you throw huge curveballs that I miss. Which is why I love your characters. Counting the days for Forged in Fire!

      Delete
  2. Mary, your women's suffrage research is so interesting! I liked your quote: "If women have the right to vote, there won't be any more wars." I wonder why they thought those two things were connected? Love your books and especially the feisty lady ranchers! Hope you're having a great start to the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, for some reason that just made me laugh. So much assurance that women would fix the world and...here we are.

      Delete
  3. Wow, Mary. What a fascinating history lesson! I want to set a book in Wyoming now just to say thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fascinating. If I'm not careful I'll get lost in research and not get my book written!!!!

      Delete
  4. I don't know! I'm not the best coming up with ideas and always looking for more effective ways. I'm interested in what everyone says.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonya, me too. Let's hear ideas, Seekervillagers!

      Delete
  5. I loved reading about this new book and series! Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres and I always enjoy the books that you give us. I know that I'm going to enjoy reading about women's suffrage. Thanks for sharing today! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. suffrage is the backdrop but mostly the books are about shooting and shouting and falling in love. :)

      Delete
  6. If I were a writer, I would be playing the “what if?” If I didn’t like the ending of a movie “Sommersby” with Jodi Foster and Richard Gere comes to mind, tv series, overheard conversations, dreams. I would keep a small notebook with a pen next to my bed at all times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JCP writer's do WHAT IF all the time! I once had a whole book flood through my mind while I stood at a children's museum holding a mastodon tooth.

      Delete
  7. Mary, wow! I enjoyed reading about women’s suffrage. How hard it was for women to be able to vote. But here we are some of us take it for granted now. Not only that - we are fickle. We want something and then we get it and then we forget how bad we want it.
    Thank you for your research and your writing. I enjoy reading your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. Reading about the wild west, in research, reminds me all the time how good we've got it.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the interesting facts! I wish we knew who it was shouting that in DC! What a brave man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like I knew who it was at one time. LOL but now I can't find it.

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed reading about your research and I am looking forward to this new series. I love your strong female characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, strong women falling in love with strong men. That's pretty much what I do.

      Delete
  10. And this is why I’m not a writer…I have no ideas haha! I love history but the translation from fact to story remains out of my reach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christin, you should NOT feel bad about that. The writer's brain is an odd thing.

      Delete
  11. Conversations with people - who they are, where they've lived, tidbits that make them them. Almost every town has some hiddened gem, you just have to listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Carol, I so agree with you. It's those tidbits, those hidden gems that sow the seeds of a story

      Delete
  12. Mary, I love all this research you've done. It's so fascinating! It's crazy how long women's rights were suppressed. I especially liked the part about no more wars if women could vote. I've often thought there'd be less wars if more women were leaders of countries. I'm beyond excited for your new series! I don't write books, but I love all the creative ideas you and other writers come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winnie, I don't understand why we can't get away from war!!! What is the attraction of it. The price is so often higher than any gain. Madness.

      Delete
  13. That was very interesting! I love history! I think I would get my ideas from everyday life around me. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BeckBeck. Everyday life can brush past you and leave a story behind.

      Delete
  14. I love all of your books and look forward to the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna. coming soon. I can't believe it's January and Christmas is over and book #1 is coming in February already!!!

      Delete
  15. I tend to look at books, movies, and tv - ask what's the core story & how can I do it differently or from a fresh angle?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm still working on my first novel but I get ideas from things around me

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your books because of all the historical facts and also your books are very enjoyable to read!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was extremely fascinating, I wish there was more history given when any sort of media is released! Think of how much could be learned. Keeping it alive, real, and remembered. Thank you for your research and sharing.

    Shay Teague,
    Go huskers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I get ideas from reading and watching tv. Love your books! Looking forward to reading the new ones! Joy jumpforjoy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. A lot of my ideas come from dreams. Is that weird? Mary, you have great ideas and wonderful books! Thank you for being in Seekerville today!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy New Year! I love your books.
    cathyann40@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They Wyoming Series sounds fascinating! I love Historical Fiction books. I haven't read a book by you yet, but would love to. Susan in NC (susanlulu(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have read everything Mary has written, haven't read a dud yet! When I realized that our church library was missing several of her books, we had to order them right away.
    Looking forward to reading the latest series.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A lot my ideas come from my historical background. My maternal side came from the United Kingdom. My paternal side are from Canada, Germany and Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Have them on my to be purchased list. Marcia Poyzer

    ReplyDelete
  27. Maybe Wyoming (and Utah) allowed (or wanted to) women voters to get women to move to their stateto natrow that 1/6 gap between men & women and increase children lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoot it went anonymous - this is Tina Peterson from Natural Therapy Packs & FB :)

      Delete
  28. Great info, Mary! Thanks for sharing. I had a story idea that wouldn't come together over the holidays. Yesterday, it fell into place. I was too busy with Christmas earlier. Once the hustle and bustle was over, the plot jelled, and I'm ready to start writing the story.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your books! A line in them often sends me on my own history search!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Can’t wait for this new book. I think I own all of your books.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Say You: The writer's brain is an odd thing. ha ha Mary...I sure do enjoy your books! Am an avid reader and hope to read LOTS in 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Can't wait to read your new books, Mary. I'm currently reading the last of your Lumber Baron Daughters series.
    As an author, I get my ideas through prayer, titles, research rabbit trails, movies, other books, etc.
    Happy New Year and Happy Trails,
    Crystal L Barnes

    ReplyDelete
  33. Interesting post, Mary. I look forward to reading this series. Please put me in the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi there Happy New Year, love your books and I look forward to your new series. I wish the library would carry them here. Keep up with your wonderful books.☺️👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am so excited for your new books! I honestly just get my ideas from Pinterest prompts of just thinking about life.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Definitely going to be putting these down on my to read list for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  37. For some reason my previous comment posted anonymously. But definitely putting these on my to read list for this year

    ReplyDelete
  38. Research books mostly. And asking that ever helpful "What If" question! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is one of my favorite posts, Mary. I laughed as the representative went over the wall shouting, "Not without our women!"

    I get my ideas from a variety of places. Conversations, dreams, the news, and asking the what if questions. I love that I get paid to make up stories.

    ReplyDelete
  40. If I were to write a book I would base it on the most incredible vacation I ever took to a small island in Alaska named St. Paul. I don’t think I have ever seen a Fiction book mentioning that place.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love that clearly you’re able to draw ideas from all kinds of places and situations! I would love to see some books written about Chinese immigrants to the US, as that was my family’s experience. Thanks for writing the books you do, Mary!
    —flchen1

    ReplyDelete
  42. I get my ideas from everywhere, any story can inspire me! Love reading your books though! ~Paula Jones

    ReplyDelete
  43. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great post, Mary. I love the support the state gave their women - and the blacks and indians, too! Talk about inclusive :)

    My ideas simply morph out of the stories I'm writing. I'm actually more creative when I sit down old school with pen and paper and map out the story. Such twist and turns from characters I'm only familiar with in passing through another book.

    Wishing you a great new year, my friend. And much success with this new series!

    Audra, the Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love your books. Looking forward to reading this series.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love your books! I don’t write, but I love to read. Your books are some of my favorites, <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and this is Andrea Hinman (Facebook friend 😉)

      Delete
  47. Womens suffrage is fascinating to me, I can’t wait to read your new series ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  48. Ideas just pop into my head, but I always doubt if they are any good.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."