Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Goals, Resolutions and One Word


by Mindy Obenhaus

Originally posted in January 2019 
Ready or not, a new year has arrived. And like a new calendar waiting to be filled, January presents us with a blank slate. A new beginning. But like any journey, it’s best approached with a sense of direction. As a compass points our way, we, too, need something to guide us through the coming year. A reference that keeps us moving forward instead of allowing speed bumps and unexpected detours to determine our course.

How do we do this? 

Goals – Goals are specific. Maybe you want to lose ten pounds, get a better paying job or get your book published. Whatever your goal may be, you must take action in order reach it. If you want to lose weight, diet and exercise will play a key role. A better job typically doesn’t just fall into your lap. You need to actively seek that new position, perhaps improving your skills along the way. And even if publication doesn’t happen for years, you still need to keep writing and learning.

Determine your goal, then make a list of steps that will help you reach it.

Resolutions – People used to ask me, “What’s your New Year’s resolution?” To which I usually replied, “I don’t make resolutions, because I don’t make promises I can’t keep.”

For several years now, I have made it a practice to go to the gym on a regular basis. And if there’s one thing I’ve noticed, it’s that the gym gets more crowded on January 2nd. Seems everyone and their brother resolves to eat healthier and get fit. The second thing I’ve noticed, though, is that by March, most of those people are gone and we’re back to the same sweaty faces we saw the previous year.

A resolution is a promise, typically made to oneself. Yet while we may resolve to lose ten pounds, that doesn’t mean it’s magically going to happen. As with a goal, a resolution requires action to become a reality.

What steps do you need to take to fulfill your resolution?

One Word – This has become increasingly popular in the past few years, particularly among Christians. Prayerfully choosing a single word to be your focus for an entire year is really about attitude.
In 2018, my word was grateful. No matter what life threw at me, good or bad, approaching it with gratitude changed my perspective. This year, PEACE is my word. Something I'm still trying to wrap my brain around, but I have 363 more days to better understand.

You can learn more about your One Word at myoneword.org.

Whether you choose only one of these tools or pair them together, you can feel more confident marching into 2019 with a sense of direction. Even if you wander off the path, the right focus can put you back on track.

Fast-forward to 2023 - You know, it's kind of amazing to stop and think about everything that has happened since I posted this four years ago. Our world has gone through some changes. But many of us still approach a new year with some sort of direction in mind. So let's talk about it. 

Do you run headlong into each new year or do you approach January with a goal, resolution, one word or something else? 

Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, two sassy pups, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com  

18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog, Mindy. I've been praying about a One Word for 2023. So far nothing has jelled so I continue to wait on the Lord. I used to be a Big Goal setter. Not so much anymore. Of course, sometimes inspiration hits a bit after the New Year! I'm still in the catching up phase and not yet settled into 2023. Perhaps the goals and One Word will take shape with time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, I'm in the same boat. I still haven't recovered from the holidays. Once I'm able to rub two brain cells together perhaps things will come to me.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed reading your blog post today, Mindy! I've set some goals: work out more to be more fit, write more, read and study the Bible more. The last one should be easy. Our church has Bible Study on Wednesday nights. Go. Bible study accomplished. But it seems so much harder than that getting there after working all day. Work out more-I've got a space to work out, have weights, an exercise program I could follow. I just need to follow through with the time to set aside to do it. Same with writing. Overall, I got burned out toward the end of 2022 and feel like I'm still recuperating. Word for 2023: came across this word: splendorous. It's stuck with me and after reading it's definitions and having verses come to mind and thinking about God's splendor, I'm excited to dig into this word and see where it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, I like that you recognize those obstacles that keep you from meeting your goals. I also like that you acknowledge your weaknesses. Those things that stand in the way of an otherwise attainable goal. That's why I have to work out first thing in the morning, otherwise I spend the rest of the day procrastinating and never get it done. You had me looking up the meaning of splendorous. Very nice.

      Delete
  7. Mindy, your post is as timely now in 2023 as it was in 2018! Goals, Resolutions, Words...they all mull around your head on January 1, but just like the gym attendance, good intentions tend to wain within a month (if not sooner!).

    I love PEACE as a beacon word. Internal peace gives way to grace in all situations of your life, for yourself and others. Your One Word and workout habit are sure to make your life a bit clearer in 2023.

    I'm going to be sharing my One Word for 2023 in my post tomorrow, so I'd hate to dampen the surprise, LOL! Have a great year, my friend!

    Audra, the Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No ruining surprises here, Audra. I'm still mulling/praying over my word for 2023.

      Delete
  8. I remember reading this when you posted it before, Mindy. It was startling to me to realize that I've been hanging out in Seekerville for that long. When much of your time is spent living in your head, time in the real world gets a little wonky. It was just as good today as it was four years ago!

    As I prayed about my one word, it became three: faith, hope, and charity. Last year God clearly revealed to me how much territory in my life I had allowed the enemy to invade through fear. This year, through faith, I'm casting out fear and doubt, choosing the joy that comes from hoping all things, and relying on God's perfect love to help me turn my focus more toward helping others and less toward wallowing in my own insecurities. It's a lot, I know; but my God is big enough to do it.

    My writing goal this year isn't to get published or to get paid. Instead, I've decided to pursue keeping my promises and building a portfolio. My twelve year old grandson and I were working on a YA novel over the summer that we never finished. My Bible study partner and I were working on writing a women's Bible study last spring. That never got finished either. This year is about finishing things, whether I think they'll be published or not. And my writing group has been encouraging me to make a web site. I haven't yet because of that whole FEAR thing. This year, I will. When it's done, I'll invite you all over for a cup of coffee and a look around. Because I'll be here more often. I've streamlined my writing space, tweaked my schedule, and committed to consistent daily time set aside for my writing. I guess that's what it all boils down to. This year I am COMMITTING.

    Please pray for me! It's a terrifying thing to take that giant leap from thinking you might try something out for a while to being determined to do it no matter what. Not that I'm going to let the fear stop me, but I'll appreciate all the prayer power I can get to fire against it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Terri Lynn! As for that fear, we all deal with it. It's the enemy's way of trying to trip us up, to tell us we can't do something--even if it's something God has called us to do. God is faithful--always. He has a path for you and will walk with you. But we sometimes forget He's there. Don't let the enemy get his way. You just press on in what God has called you to. And we'll always be here for you, too. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the encouragement! I know I haven't actually met any of you, but this is one of the reasons I keep coming back to Seekerville. I feel like I COULD have met all of you, and you and Debbie and Ruthie and all the wonderful writers here would have been ladies I would have fellowshipped with in church and invited over to my place for lunch, if we had all lived in the same town.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing your post. I've never been one to make resolutions but I usually pick a word for the year. Sadly, I'm still waiting for a word that seems right. Joy has long been my favorite word but I've used it before. I'll hopefully find the right one for 2023 very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we're in the same boat, Connie. We wait and listen. ;-)

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mindy, I remember your post back then. God gave me "commit" for this year. I love doing the one word for the year. Hope you get yours soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that word, Karen. Sounds like some action may be required. ;-)

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."