Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Here's To Your Health

Good morning, friends! And Happy New Year! 2022 went really fast, didn't it? It was a great year for my family. My two oldest kids both got engaged, my baby graduated from high school and started college. Career wise, I had some great writing opportunities. My husband and I also celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. It seems unreal that we have been married for that long! I am very grateful God blessed me with a man who truly stands by me and supports me.
2022 also had some negatives. Most of these are health related. I have struggled with my weight most of my life, and now I have to deal with diabetes. I love writing, but I sit for long periods of times while I work. I also tend to drink too much sweet coffee and eat too many bad carbs and sweets while I work. I have 6 books releasing in 2023, four from Love Inspired Suspense and two from Guideposts. It's no wonder my numbers have gotten a little out of control. I needed to make a plan.
I don't usually make resolutions. They get broken and leave me feeling guilty and defeated. This year, I decided instead of resolutions, I was going to make some lifestyle changes. Spiritually, I started listening to a daily podcast on my way to work to help me get deeper into scripture during the day. For my health, I made an appointment with my doctor and we have started a plan to work on improving my health and making better choices. Also, I have started working with a dietician to help me change my mindset about food. As far as my writing goes, I enjoy using dictation while I write. I have added dictation while I walk. Also, I have cleared off the clutter hiding my adjustable stand up desk so I can actually use it. I hope that with these changes, I can continue to enjoy my family and be productive for years to come. Do you have any changes you plan to make for 2023?
Dana R. Lynn is an award winning author of romantic suspense and Amish romance who believes in the power of God to touch people through stories. Although she grew up in Illinois, she met her husband at a wedding in Pennsylvania and told her parents she had met her future husband. Nineteen months later, they were married. Today, they live in rural Pennsylvania and are entering the world of empty nesters. She is a teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing by day and writes stories of romance and danger at night. She is represented by Tamela Hancock Murray with the Steve Laube Agency. Dana is an avid reader, loves cats and thinks chocolate should be a food group. Readers can contact her or sign up to receive her monthly newsletter at www.danarlynn.com.

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on all the wonderful things the last year has brought for you! My hubby and I will hit 25 later this year too! My changes this year include more physical activity and eating less sugar. So much easier said then done! But more importantly I'd like to get back to regular deep-dive Bible study, something I've been neglecting in the past few years. Thanks for the encouraging post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, congrats to you and your husband! I agree, making healthier choices isn't easy. But so worth it!

      Delete
  2. Dana, great post! Congratulations on the engagements and graduation. My daughter got married last year, and my son and his wife bought a house. Changes include getting back into running-I want to run a half marathon. writing-I want to be more intentional about getting words down and finishing stories I've started, deeper study into the Bible, making healthier food choices. Can't wait to read your books in 2023, Dana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh. I love the idea of being fit enough to run a marathon. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. You have had a great year, Dana. I wish you all the best as you pursue your journey to better health in the new year. I am always working on that as well. I also have the goal of finishing the revisions on my novel I have been working on so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck on your revisions, Sandy! I'm curious, do you enjoy revisions? Sometimes I enjoy that process more than the actual writing!

      Delete
  4. Dand, so many wonderful events to be thankful for last year! Congratulations on each and every one of them. 6 books coming out in one year? Double congrats!!

    I get the sedentary lifestyle being contrary to good health. It's so simple for people to say, "well just get up and move around each hour!" What? And break your concentration when the words are really flowing? Pahsaw!!! And besides, any movement that comes from that "get up and move" time generally leads me through the kitchen... What a vicious cycle!

    I'm lifting my mug of coffee to you and the changes you make in your life in 2023. May they the all be blessed and multiplied by our God!!

    Audra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here, here to the mug of coffee! I am frequently found with my Jane Austen mug in hand. These days, I'm trying to do more tea. I find it's an acquired taste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dana, a day late, but I wanted to weigh in - pun intended. I feel you on the sedentary lifestyle problems. When I lived in NYC, I never had a problem. 10,000 steps a day - On a bad day I was double that. Now that I live in semi-rural Maine, it's definitely an issue. I work remotely so I am at my desk all day rather than walking around my classroom. I used to walk to the store, the subway, etc. Here nothing is walking distance - all is driving. And then there are the icy winters that make it kind of terrifying to walk up and down the hilly roads. Don't get me wrong, I love Maine. I just have to figure out better exercise options. Oh, and don't get me started on the dangers of working remotely when the kitchen is merely feet away from my desk!
    Wishing you much success in the new year!
    Cate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what is up with Blogger putting us as anonymous. I was signed in.

      Delete
    2. Hi Cate! I agree. It's definitely an issue. Here in rural PA, nothing is in walking distance. And we are entering into that time of year when the weather is yucky more than it's not. So walking outside isn't always fun, or safe.

      Delete
  7. Six books! Congratulation and hooray for all of us who enjoy your writing. I wish you the best as you work toward a healthier 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Connie! I appreciate it. And Happy New Year to you, as well.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."