Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Winter's Quiet is Author's Gift

 The title says it all.

I own/manage a farm with my husband, kids, friends, and assorted animals.

It is wonderful, it is growing by leaps and bounds, people come here and for nine weeks, they have So Much Fun!!!!  And that fun-filled, squash-filled, pumpkin-bedazzled nine weeks takes five months to produce.... so for seven months of the year I write in the wee smalls and do farm related activities all day.

With a whole lot of other folks around, because otherwise it wouldn't all get done.

But when winter comes along, even gray, dismal, wet, rainy winters like this one has been so far (with the exception of a KILLER STORM that swept through Christmas week, what a monster!!!) I get more time to write.

That's a total blessing. Those five months from December through April are my breathe-easy months because even with holidays and holy days, and sports for kids, and unexpected adventures, I get more writing time. This year the goal is to finish my current mystery (1/3 done, expected to finish by Valentine's Day) and Kindling Christmas in Wishing Bridge (expected to finish by April 30th).... 

And then I move on to next mystery and an indie mystery series that I'm working on (first book nearly complete).

I write daily but I plan in two-year increments. I do this because it keeps my head in the game. I do it because I can see actual progress day-to-day and that's important to me. My goal has always been to put family and faith first, and I do that by making sure there's no guilt... my writing is done in my time, my days are open-ended enough to keep family and friends and farm in reach. 

So my two-year goal right now is to finish at least four books in 2023, then four more in 2024. I have two nearly done... so that's very reachable. And if I end up with more time, there's a project waiting for me to have an opening, but it will have to wait because the first four/year take priority.

Four books/year keeps me earning a living I can live on.

Those four books keep wheels turning in multiple directions, but all moving forward.

And if the world stopped paying me to write books today... if it all dried up... If the entire industry collapsed, I'd still write because I waited nearly fifty years to be able to live my dream and it's not something I'd give up easily. Especially when aging can have deleterious effects on health, mobility, cognitive awareness. 

I love writing stories! 

But while some may look at my life and see chaos (or the generous ones call it organized chaos) I see Carpe Diem at work: Seize the day! Make it yours and God's and share what you can.

Folks ask me if I sleep in on weekends.

No. Never. Because the body is a habitual thing, and sleeping in could make it feel like it's deprived the other five days... besides, there are SO MANY PEOPLE in my life that if I sleep in, I'm unprepared for the onslaught. Or (maybe...) it's that I'm a morning person just like some o' youse are night owls... and we learn to budget our personal biological clocks to fit our jobs, our work, our ethics.

I am having the time of my life.

I am living two dreams, the writing and the farm and am so blessed by all the people around me. 

And as I write this, we are nearly complete with demolishing three rooms to make them into one big, open, friendly farm kitchen.... the old kitchen, the powder room and the pantry are all merging into a new big room after thirty-four years of not being able to fit our family around the kitchen table.... we will finally have a big table in the kitchen, LOL! The irony is that our family has more than tripled in size, so we still won't be able to fit around the table, but we can fit more of us, and that's awesome! 

Hey, throw your hat in the ring for a free copy of my newest mystery "Love's a Mystery in Cut and Shoot Texas", a wonderful story about the best Christmas blessing of all: A baby! 


Inspirational author Ruth Logan Herne has sold millions of copies of books, has had millions of pages read on Kindle Unlimited (that's a whole new category of success, isn't it???) and loves her opportunities, truly gifts from God! She's in love with her crazy family, her faith, and is living the dreams she wanted for decades, and is super-convinced that when you slow down, you die... so she never slows down. :) Write her at loganherne@gmail.com, visit her website ruthloganherne.com or friend her on Facebook. She'd love to hear from you! And if you're a writer: Keep writing! And if you're a reader: Thank you so much! You're the reason we're here... you bless us, every day! 

38 comments:

  1. Good morning, Ruth! I marvel at people like you. Just reading about all the things you do makes me a little overwhelmed. It's not that I don't try. I'm up at 5:30 and work at various things all day. But it's mostly repetitive stuff that doesn't seem to generate a lot of progress. Any advice for those if us who feel somewhat less effective than you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My great and lengthy reply to you DISAPPEARED!!! Oh, Blogger!

      Delete
    2. So, Terri Lynn, I think my wanting/needing/waiting to get published for three decades pushed me to cement that early morning writing time into place... straight from the Holy Spirit, I believe! And that way at least the writing is done. I can honestly say I'm never in a deadline pinch, and I'm never late with manuscripts because that steady daily pace helps.... I also never sleep in on weekends (a common question) because then my body feels like it's being punished to get up early. I like working with my internal clock, and not against it. That's a huge help to me.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the advice, Ruthie! I definitely need to work on guarding my writing time. And my sympathies on losing your lengthier reply. I've had that happen to me before. So frustrating! And I can never reconstruct it in exactly the same way. But it's the thought that counts, and I very much appreciate that you would take the time and effort to write a lengthy response, even if it did get swallowed up by the vast, virtual cyber monster.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ruthie - seems to me you get enough done in a day you could write lots of fantastic books -and you do! I want to be you when I grow up. Been struggling with the same WIP for longer than I want to admit. My excuse is usually my day job but that's just an excuse, right? You truly inspire me and I also appreciate winter's quiet. Thanks for a great post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, I feel like this could have been my comment. I have also been struggling with the same WIP for way longer than I can say. I also want to be Ruthy when I grow up!

      Delete
    2. You know, we're all different! And I feel like I have So Many Stories in my head, that they have to come out!!!! And just now I wrote a great reply to Terri Lynn and it DISAPPEARED. Dagnabbit!

      Delete
  3. Ruthy, you are my inspiration. However, I am not a morning person and getting up early would not gain me anything in that I wouldn't be able to function. But I do need to come up with my own version of your schedule. And don't put me in the drawing. I already have ready this book. It is good! I also just finished Reclaiming Hope in Wishing Bridge and was very excited to read the first chapter of the next book. I can't wait for it to come out. Is the Mercy Hospital series officially done now? I know you said you had been told to stop writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so puzzled because I replied to this comment from Sandy an hour ago but there's no comment here... and yet I saw it. With my very own eyes!!!! What is happening, Blogger?????

      Delete
  4. Always a roller coaster of crazy at the farm, but it's not a bad roller coaster to be on...most days. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I am one of the people who love the roller coaster but my family is not always enamored of my choice in "rides" so to speak!!! Laughing!

      Delete
  5. I love your life, Ruthy-bear! Everything from the farm, the pumpkins, the stories surrounding the new roof (years ago) to now following you on the adventure of your new kitchen. For a woman who is known for her cooking, baking, wedding cakes, etc, I'd say that a new kitchen is looooooong over due!!

    And the word - deleterious? That little gem is finding a home in my vocab list for the ages, LOL!!

    Keep on your perpetual 2 year plan. Keep plotting, writing and completing the books. The world needs as much Ruthy charm as it can get (or might that be...handle?)!!

    Audra, the Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my anonymous Audra! And I'm so glad you were able to retire and have time to be the writer God meant you to be. That's awesome! And that two-year plan thing sure works for me. It gives me goals with flexibility and that makes me happy!!!!

      Delete
  6. Ruth, every post you write inspires me. I do tend to sleep in a bit on weekends, but am feeling convicted to change that habit.

    Love the cover of your Guideposts book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, I hear you! And I found that if I messed up the sleep pattern it not only cheated me of time, it made me feel "loggy", as if I'm weighted. I think bodies are so habitual that they want to fall into line on a daily basis... I know mine does, and I have to work harder to keep the evenings in line from November through February because it's dark for so long.... Aren't we funny creatures??? But yeah, try the getting up early on weekends... that extra two or three hours is a total bonus!!!!

      Delete
  7. I’m very impressed that you are able to be so organized in the work part of your life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is organized chaos, LOL! Right now I'm tucked in one room that's crowded with kitchen stuff while the contractors are rebuilding and supporting a main wall of the kitchen and the sound of drills and saws is ongoing... and I keep shutting it out. And if you saw my dining room right now, with everything piled up and shelves everywhere, you'd cringe.... but I figure we can do anything for six weeks, right??? :) So there you go.

      Delete
  8. Ruth, I sure enjoy your books and your pictures of your farm. I love fall and pumpkins. I have a small pumpkin patch every year. I also work on a pumpkin patch that is a wedding venue in the spring and summer. It is a small family owed Christian business. Our mission is to bless those who enter in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, anonymous #1, I'm so glad you're here... but who are you? For now, you're Anonymous #1!!! And thank you so much for your kind words... gosh, they are sweet! We pumpkin folks understand the peace and beauty of a pumpkin patch!

      Delete
  9. Such a lovely glimpse into your life. I enjoy the peace of January after the busyness in December. It's good writing time for me, as well. February too! Enjoy this winter. Looking forward to your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, I will.... and same to you! Yes, the peace of those first months is like food for the soul. A little quiet time until the sun shines bright again!

      Delete
  10. PS: I like getting up early too! That pre-dawn quiet is so special and a wonderful time to pray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... prayer time and writing time.... and then the day brings what it will.

      Delete
  11. Our seasons are so reversed, Ruthy. Summer vacation is my writing time - just when you are at the peak of busy. I love getting up now in the quiet pre-dawn hours to write and watch the sun rise over the bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a glorious image that brings, Cate! I can totally see that!

      Delete
  12. I love following the remodeling of your kitchen, Ruthy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. I know.... It makes me yawn to think about that! Either way, it works, it's about finding what works for us/you/me... and then doing it!

      Delete
  14. Great post, Ruth! Your words are an inspiration. I learned a long time ago, if I slept in on the weekends, I lost so much time. It was better to keep kind of the same schedule so Monday back to work wasn't such a shock lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed 100%!!!!!! Yes, the body likes continuity, that's part of why it's so hard to break a bad habit, no matter what it is... We train our bodies to get used to certain things, so throwing it out of whack usually comes back to bite us!

      Delete
    2. So if it's so hard to break a bad habit, why is it so easy to break a good habit? It's like when people say something nice about us, it's the one person who didn't that we dwell on. I'll have to think on this some more...

      Delete
  15. You are one amazing lady, and I wish I lived closer to you so that I could take part in those Fall Activities. So happy that your dream kitchen is happening and I look forward to your 4 books this year. I'd love to throw my hat in the ring for your newest mystery. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your hat is in the ring, Connie! And I would love that, too.... Those 8 weeks are so much fun!

      Delete
  16. Hi I am a big fan of Ruth’s books! I would love a free copy. Thanks Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jenna and I just love ❤️ your books, Ruth! What a blessing! If I win this, I want to give it to Jenna! Her sweet sixteen is coming up. Thanks so much for this opportunity!! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am tucking your name right in! And thank you so much for coming over here!!!!!

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."