Tuesday, December 31, 2019

A Peaceful New Year!





For years we've invited you to join us as we "Rocked in" the New Year with Seekerville. We wanted a carnival-styled atmosphere, lots of food, laughter, a few site shut-downs because of the amount of traffic and it KILLED our embedded comments. Fried them. Totally. We had to switch to straight comments to keep from repeatedly crashing the blog.

This year is different, and it's different for a lot of reasons.
Peace is good.
Kindness is wonderful.
Faith is our cornerstone. 



So while we all (every one of us!) love to party and celebrate good times, sometimes it's good to quietly contemplate the beauty of Auld Lang Syne. The blessing of friendships old and new.


And that's what we decided to do this year. We want to share our stories with you, the kind that touch your heart and ours. And we welcome your stories in return. 

You can share them in the comments. 

Or send them to Ruthy's email:  loganherne@gmail.com  and if Ruthy remembers to check her email (eye-roll here) then she'll post it for you. That way it can be anonymous if you would prefer that.



We've got several lovely prizes to give away today.

We have delicious foods. Wonderful beverages. Cozy corners. So come on. Sit a while. Think about how we can work together to make 2020 the beautiful year God would like it to be. Maybe writer by writer and reader by reader we can truly make a difference.

Here's a story to get us started, from Seeker Pam Hillman:

On a cold night in Mississippi, my small church family gathered for Wednesday night services. We still enjoy testimony services. My niece shared something about her day and dovetailed it with a spiritual thought. Then my sister-in-law did the same thing. I’d dealt with a shady business issue that day and a short analogy came to mind, so I was about to stand and share more than my usual “I’m thankful for…” spiel.

Before I could, a visitor stood. Not a stranger to me, this young man has been in drug rehab more than once and is currently trying to hold on to his sobriety by a thread. He testified that his wife had told him just that morning that she wanted a divorce. With tears in his eyes, he said that God had been with him all day and he felt peace. He hadn’t turned to drugs or alcohol or anger. He'd turned to God and came to be with people who loved him and prayed for him and his family.

My little “tempest in a teapot” was nothing—nothing— to what he was/is going through. And, I daresay, his wife is going through a trial of her own. It hit me that I need to focus more on that peace in the small trials and the big trials instead of trying to fix things my own way, spinning and churning and letting my mind run wild.

Peace on earth, and good will to men. It’s not just a buzz phrase; it’s a life-giving phrase that will help and heal if we grab hold of Jesus and don’t let go.


And here's a story from Ruthy:

A year and a half ago I was in New York City. I loved traveling down to the city to see my boys, but Lower Manhattan and the Financial District weren't as pretty, as nice as they used to be. I happened to be there on the first nice day the city had seen since Christmas. It was April, and hotels were planting bloomed tulips in their planters, the city was filling planters with gorgeous blooms and pulling out all the flowers that rabbits or rodents had eaten that week. As a farmer, I empathized!

I started walking down Williams St. I saw smoke in front of me. On the sidewalk. Not billowing, but leaving a definite presence, puffing in cartoon-style clouds along a wrought iron fence, and people were sending dark...

VERY DARK....

looks in that direction. Disgusted looks. Looks of annoyance. And as I drew closer, I saw the problem. An elderly homeless man was on fire.

Not him, per se, but his nylon jacket. Clouds of smoke poured from his left-hand pocket and he seemed disconcerted. He stared down, not knowing what to do and my heart broke for him. I stopped in front of him. I said, "Hey, would you like a little help, sir?"

He wasn't real tall. Neither am I, but he was slouched down, the way homeless do, you know. So maybe you won't notice that their lives are dreadful and sad. He looked up at me with the prettiest blue eyes I've ever seen. "You're not from around here, are you?"

I shook my head and smiled. "I am not. I live on a farm in Western New York, actually. Let's figure out what's going on here. What's your name?"

"Mike."

"So, Mike, can we take the jacket off?"

He looked like that was a good idea and peeled off the jacket.

The pocket was on fire. He looked at it when I flipped it over and sighed. "I tried to save a butt. Must not have been out."

"It happens," I told him. (Did it? I thought. Really? I didn't know, because I've never encountered this situation before, but maybe when there's no money and no place to sleep or shower or do anything to keep yourself up, saving an almost gone cigarette butt is probably not that unusual.)

It took a couple of minutes but we got the fire out and I trimmed the burned edges from his coat with my fingers.

"You don't happen to have a needle and thread, do you?" he asked.

I didn't so I shook my head again. "I don't. So Mike, what brought you to Manhattan?"

Those eyes lit up. "Well, there was this woman..."

That struck a chord because I'm a romance author and a woman. "Isn't there always?"

He smiled. "She came here and I followed and when I get myself put back together, I'm going to find her. See if she'll have me. You never know."

He was right. Life's a constant turn of events and times and changes. "True words." I bought him some fruit from a nearby vendor. And I may have broken all those silly rules you hear and slipped him some cash because there but for the grace of God go I...

And he smiled again. A really nice smile. And then we said goodbye.

But as I walked down to the Seaport, all I could see were those nasty looks. The disparagement. The annoyance. And I realized that Mike wasn't the lucky one that day.

I was.

Because God put me at the right place and time to show another human being some tender loving care. And maybe make a tiny bit of difference in a difficult life.



Hey, a new story just in from Seeker Jan Drexler! 


Back in 1991, my husband and I lived near Dyess Air Force base in Abilene, Texas. Many of our church friends were crew members from the B1-B squadron stationed there, including the squadron commander. We learned a lot about military life – me from sharing Bible studies and childcare with the wives, my husband as he took part in Bible studies and other activities with the husbands.
We learned about the crew’s schedules during the Cold War years: The training flights that took our friends all over the world during their night shift. The constant work to keep physically fit. The long hours spent ready to fly a mission at a moment’s notice.

At a moment’s notice? Yes. Remember, this was the Cold War. The Berlin Wall still divided that great city. There was still an “Eastern Europe” and a “Western Europe.” A person could still be shot for trying to cross from one part of Germany to the other. The borders of the USSR were closed. The threat of nuclear war was still very, very real.

These men, our brothers in Christ, trained and prepared to be the front line if or when that threat became reality. These men were trained and prepared to strike first.

What kind of toll does that take on a person?

Then, the wonderfully unthinkable event happened: In November 1991, the Wall came down.
The next Sunday, the squadron commander stood up at the beginning of the service to address the congregation. With tears in his eyes, he spoke with overwhelming gratitude of the orders he was able to give his men that week. The orders were, “stand down.”

That’s when the historic event hit home. For the first time in forty-four years, bomber crews were no longer waiting and prepared to fly out at a moment’s notice. For the first time in forty-four years, a pilot could stay home with his family instead of spending his night in the ready room. For the first time in forty-four years, no fingers were poised over a button that would bring destruction to an entire country...to an entire world.

Peace on Earth? Sometimes, God grants us a taste that indescribable heavenly gift.

Faithfulness is a great way to kick off a new decade... and we'd like to reward your faithfulness (new or old to Seekerville) with some lovely prizes today. Leave a comment below about something in your life, your choice... and your name will automatically go into the prize bucket!

We have a copy of Ruthy's latest Love Inspired "A Hopeful Harvest"!



A copy of Mindy Obenhaus's upcoming new release "Her Rocky Mountain Hope"!



A copy of "Jesus Calling" by Sara Young...



A brand new edition of Janette Oke's "Love Comes Softly" that was supposed to have her signature in it but ... oddly... it does not! But it's still a wonderful story that inspired a new genre of TV and movies, so we'll celebrate that!



And Anne Bogel's book about characters and how to define them, from Baker Books.


From all of us here in Seekerville, we love spending time with you as we welcome a new year and a new decade into being. And may God bless us... Every one!

66 comments:

  1. Now this is the way to rock New Year's Eve!

    I love Pam's story. Church being what the Church should be: loving our brothers and sisters.

    I love Ruthy's story. Church extending through believers: loving the least among us in the name of Christ.

    *sigh* Yes, this is the way to start the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is restful, isn't it? Laughing! I've got a cold and me and three grand-nieces are watching The Santa Clause.... and giggling. Between sneezes. :)

      Delete
    2. Awww, so sorry to hear you and your wee ones are battling colds. I hope you've enjoyed a day of movies, rest, and laughter. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. Stopping by now before heading to the kitchen to bake for the grandkids. Did you know teenage boys go through a LOT of cookies? But it's been fun to have them for the week and have the opportunity to celebrate with them.

    Love the stories shared here, along with the scriptures. Sets the stage for a contemplative day and I can't think of a better way to ring in the new year than with some soulful contemplation, reflecting on what God has done and savor the anticipation of what is yet to come.

    Happy New Year, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, mine still eat a lot at 25 and almost 30! haha

      Delete
    2. Food and boys are quite the match-up, aren't they? I think I re-mortgaged the farm at least once with four teenage boys.... and their friends! Mindy, how fun to have all of them around!

      Delete
    3. Cookies and boys. Boys and cookies. You'd think they were made for each other!

      Delete
    4. Yeah, Missy, mine are 24 and almost 21 and they can eat them just as fast.

      Delete
    5. Ruthy, I have no doubt about the second mortgage. That many boys will eat you out of house and home for sure!

      Delete
    6. Jan, you are correct. However, given the chance, I could probably hold my own with them. ;)

      Delete
    7. With two teenaged boys in the house, we're learning to BUY MORE FOOD. And the cookies I made today? I'm sure they'll be gone in no time. ;) Happy New Year, Mindy!

      Delete
  3. Happy new year's eve to all of you! I love this quiet celebration. For the last decade or more, I've loved this aspect of starting into the new year quietly and with reflection. This is my type of party! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my type of party, too, Missy! There's room on the couch here next to me. I'll get both of us some hot chocolate. :-)

      Delete
    2. Well, if it's too quiet, we'll save the giveaways and do them at the end of the week. And yes, I think that's a possibility, LOL! But that's okay.... hand me more lotion tissues, please.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year, Seekerville!!!!! Thank you for being here to bless so many lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Beth! And thank YOU for being such a blessing to all of us!

      Delete
  5. I love this way of closing out an old year and preparing for a new. The Lord has been speaking to me about waiting these past few days...waiting to hear from Him and to hear His heart.

    I loved your stories, Pam and Ruthy. I debated about what I wanted to share here. But I think the most impacting-to-my-heart story happened right after ACFW this year. My husband had to leave for an overseas trip the day after I returned from San Antonio. I drove him to the airport at o'dark hundred and dropped him off, got the boys up and took them to school. About mid-morning my husband called, in a panic, because he couldn't find his passport. My husband is one of the most organized people I know, and he's never EVER forgotten his passport on an overseas trip.

    He asked me to check his desk, and sure enough, it was there, peeking out from beneath a pile of papers. He said he'd call back, and I enlisted my praying friends to pray for a solution to his dilemma. A little while later, he called back, relief in his voice.

    "I was able to re-route through Hawaii with an overnight stay before heading to my location."

    I was praising God! He would be able to spend some time with his family, and especially his father who had had a stent surgery the preceding week, and then emergency surgery two days before. I loved seeing God work on my husband's behalf.

    He tried during each layover to contact his family to let them know he was coming, and finally reached my sister-in-law. When he arrived in Honolulu, he learned his father had passed away about an hour before he arrived.

    God knew he needed to be there that night, and He intervened. He was able to spend a little time with his father and to be with his brothers and mother on that hard, hard night. All because he left his passport at home.

    I often marvel at God's goodness, but that day, He reminded me of His tender love and care for His children. He has a way of showing up, even in the hard moments.

    Seekerville, thank you for all you do, all you offer for us. I so appreciate each one of you!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jeanne! What a heart-breaking time, but also a glimpse at God's provision. Your husband was able to be at home with his family at exactly the time he needed to be there.

      Praying for blessings for you and your family this coming year!

      Delete
    2. Oh, Jeanne, you need to use that in a book. What a beautiful story of those accidents of timing that aren't really accidents at all. You have touched so many of us with this beautiful story today. And that's Chicken Soup for the Soul material right there, Jeanne.

      Delete
    3. Jeanne, that story is as sweet as it is heartbreaking. I love how we can look back and see how God orchestrates things on our behalf.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for your kind words, ladies. Our God is truly faithful and He always knows best, doesn't He? And Ruthy, I'm taking your hint. :)

      Delete
  6. A lovely way to end this year. I'm blessed by all your stories. Many unexpected blessings came my way this year as I stepped up to promote and market a first novel. Because of the generous hearts of others this experience has been rewarding. God is gracious and meets all my needs. Thank you, Seekers, for your support too. A blessed new year to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the Christian fiction community a wonderful place to be? I've always found my fellow authors enthusiastic and helpful!

      Happy New Year, Pat!

      Delete
    2. Wishing you a blessed 2020, too, Pat. Thank you for being part of this community.

      Delete
    3. Pat Jeanne, I am in 100% agreement. Generous hearts, willing hands, kindly souls. We are blessed! Thank you so much for coming over today!

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year to all. We are having a peaceful New Year's Eve here at home. One of my New Year's Eve memories occurred in 2006. We were at my parents' house celebrating Christmas over the New Year. We woke up that morning to the sound of cracking as the tree branches were breaking from the ice. It was the ice storm of the century. Power was out and everything came to a standstill. But the eight cousins will never forget the fun they had sleeping in the family room in front of the fireplace that night. This year we will be home for a quiet evening with electricity! I'm sure we will have a fire in the fireplace though!

    I already have Jesus Calling and Love Comes Softly but would love to be put in the drawing for the other books!

    I already have Jesus Calling and

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great memory, Sandy - at least for the cousins!

      Have a great New Year's Eve with your family!

      Delete
    2. Sandy, I'm sure that was a New Year's Eve everyone will remember fondly.

      Delete
    3. Oh, that's a New Year's memory for the books, Sandy. Thank you for sharing it. And we'll tuck you in for the other books. It's all good!

      Delete
    4. I just noticed my typo. I was having trouble with my comment!

      Delete
  8. Ladies, you are each a treasured blessing! Thank you for sharing your stories. May 2020 be filled with more of His tangible presence. ((((HUGS))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caryl, and the same to you.

      Delete
    2. Caryl, thanks for stopping over! Want some eggnog? Or coffee? Tea? And there's champagne chilling. Bring on the new decade!

      Delete
  9. What wonderful blessings you ladies are. I wish we could have tea together. I pray your New Year is blessed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I wish we could have tea, too, Lucy. Just let me know when and where. ;)

      Delete
    2. I'll bring tea! With lemon and honey and cream and chai and deliciousness. Bring on the evening bells and a cup of tea!

      Delete
    3. I am no good at scones.... Muffins? I'm better at cookies than muffins, too. Or we can go all French Revolution and let everyone eat cake???

      Delete
  10. Thank you for these stories of compassion, inspiration and peace.

    Since our big family get together was during Thanksgiving, my husband and I had a quiet Christmas of reflecting on our abundant blessings.

    I appreciate Seekerville for the wisdom, encouragement...and sometimes the challenge...to walk His path. It is a blessing to be here in Seekerville with others who share the same desires. Many blessings in 2020 to all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherida, we appreciate you, too. I like what you said about "others who share the same desires." Whether we're writers or readers, we all have a heart to please God. And that is a common bond that transcends so many things.

      Delete
    2. I am in full agreement. Sherida, what a lovely turn of phrase... and aren't we so blessed with the fellowship of authors and readers and just regular folk?

      Delete
  11. Thank you to all the authors for your wonderful stories! Happy New Year to everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely, Ruthy! Happy New Year to all! My hubby is sick. :( We're having a quiet New Year's Eve, but I'm sending lots of love to all and wishing everyone a joyous 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, I'm so sorry your hubby is sick. I hope you enjoy your quiet evening and that your 2020 is filled with much joy!

      Delete
    2. Deb, so much going around. Give Tony a big hug for me/us and I hope he's on the mend quickly. A quiet new year isn't a bad thing at all! (Says Ruthy who was in bed at 9:30 and is up now!)

      Delete
  13. Happy New Year Seekerville. I am asking the Lord to help me get back to writing and reading like I used to. 2019 was a rough year but as I look back on it the Lord was with me all the way. He never left me. I am doing so much better. Still can't do everything with my knee I could before the injury but still working on that goal into the new year. I would love to be able to get on my knees and my therapist laughed at me when I told her I wanted to be able to get in and out of a bath tub. Still my goal.

    I am actually excited to getting back to writing. Hopefully I'm ready. I've missed writing.

    Another goal is to figure how to have my laptop always ready so I can be back on Seekerville every day. I've missed you all.

    Yesterday I tried to comment on the romance post and my phone wouldn't let me. Congratulations Erica and Jan.

    Praying everyone will have a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilani, so nice to hear from you! I'm sorry you're still struggling, dear friend, but wishing you full health and happiness in 2020. A new year, a new decade, just waiting for us! Alleluia!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. So good to see you here, Wilani. I wish all the best for you in 2020.

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clara this is an interesting post because I'm pretty sure you're a marketer trying to get visibility for your free kindle review site, but while we don't do that here.... we promote authors and let them promo themselves... and teach... we're glad you stopped by and I've got some virtual eggnog and coffee if you're interested. And maybe some ideas for better marketing.

      Delete
  15. I'm coming to the party late... Thanks so much for posting and sharing your stories. I love the writers of this blog so much! I credit a lot of what I've learned about writing to the wonderful Seekers here. Thank you for sharing the hard stuff, the great stuff, the heart-wrenching stuff, and being so transparent with all of us. I look forward every week to what is posted here and I faithfully check it. When I come back from being offline, I read EVERY POST I've missed - it's a true story. :)
    Blessings to each of you for the coming year. I look forward to the stories and postings God lays on your heart to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee-Ann, you can come to the party anytime! And thank you for your kind words. We love working with other authors, we love encouraging folks on the rough days and celebrating the good ones. There's so much to learn in this business and it's fun to share info. We're all in this together. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  16. I'm just catching up on Tuesday's post and I'm so glad I did! What a lovely tribute to peace, kindness and faith I found in the stories from Pam, Ruthy and Jan. I was so touched by them all.
    I had not thought I would choose a ONE WORD for this year, but I hear that verse Pam shared from Numbers 6 calling to me. "..the Lord make His Face shine upon you...and give you peace." My word last year was Shine as in "Arise shine for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord is risen on you". I didn't feel so much like I was shining during 2019, but the Numbers verse makes me think that as long as God's Face is shining on me, I will have His Peace. Such a calming feeling of renewal! So this year I choose Peace for my word.
    Thank you all for a truly wonderful post!
    Oh by the way, I have Ruthy's book, thank you so much! And I received Sarah Young's morning and evening devotional for Christmas, but I'd love to read Mindy's new book.
    Happy blessed New Year to everyone here at Seekerville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Tracey, I love this. And it's so good to see you! You are missed.

      And I love the idea that if God is shining on us, we have His peace.

      I think by default then, that our light shines for others.

      Through Him. In Him. With Him.

      Delete
  17. Happy New Year To Each and Everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I'm so glad you stopped by! Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  18. For the first time, I completely missed your NYE party due to the nasty flu bug. So I just read all the posts and comments for the new year. Thank you for everything you all do for us as we learn and grow. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's all right. I'm just glad you're better. Thank you for coming over once you were healthy, dear Pat!

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."