Friday, May 1, 2020

To Bundle or Not to Bundle: The Pros and Cons of Boxed Sets for Readers and Authors


Welcome Seekerville guest, Candee Fick!

Happy May Day to everyone in Seekerville!


I don’t know about you, but I am more than ready for Spring weather. In some parts of the country, people say that April showers bring May flowers. Well, here in Colorado—especially this year when it snowed on Easter Sunday and dumped an additional foot of the white stuff a few days later—we’re more inclined to say that April snow makes May things grow…

However, there’s just something about Spring that gives my heart Hope. Maybe it’s the fresh greenery, the scent of blooming flowers, or the warmth of sun on my face after being cooped up inside for months. (And that was before the recent pandemic orders!) But there’s also the reminder that after the dark and cold and barrenness, there is still the promise of Life and Love.

That’s why when a group of fellow authors and I started planning to do a boxed set collection together, I was thrilled that we decided the stories had to be set in the spring or early summer. And while weekends are not the usual for such things, we also picked Mother’s Day 2020 as our launch day for the Love is in the Air collection.



Yes, that’s in just 10 days… Which means I’ve got boxed sets on the brain! So, let’s talk about the good, the bad, and the ugly, starting with an overview.

When I say boxed set, there’s actually no box involved at all (unless you look at the picture). It’s merely a visual representation that “inside” there is a collection of multiple ebooks. Those books could be part of a series by the same author, or—like our set—a compilation from different authors with a common theme like Christmas, mail order brides, or in our case flying in planes or hot air balloons.

The good news for voracious readers is that they get numerous books for one low price. (And by low, I mean that often these sets are priced at just .99 especially during the pre-order stage.) Readers also get to enjoy books by their favorites plus discover new authors at the same time.

And the good news for authors is that they can get discovered by new readers while multiplying the reach of their marketing efforts through cross-promotion and a pooled budget.

But there’s a lot of work involved in putting together such a set.



In addition to the writing and editing of the individual stories, there’s cover design (individually and collectively), deciding the order to present them, compiling together, formatting, uploading to the publishing platform(s), deciding on the price, and then all of the marketing including guest blogs, social media posts, email blasts, newsletter swaps, and advertising. There are additional logistics and a lot of communication required when it comes to decision making, assigning of jobs, budgeting, and transparency with accounting. Of course, most of these tasks are part of any book launch, so splitting the load between the group of authors makes it easier individually.

For readers, the only bad thing about a boxed set is that they are usually only available in ebook formats. Why? Our set is 743 pages long…which would be a beast to format and expensive to print therefore even more expensive to buy making it less likely to turn a profit for the amount of time invested in creating a print version. So, authors save the work and readers have to be content with electronic files.

For authors, the biggest downside to a boxed set is financial. For a .99 book on Amazon, authors only make a third of that. Divide that by five authors and you’ll see that’s a lot of work for six copper pennies per sale. Unless of course we sell thousands of copies. Or those new readers we hoped to attract buy other titles from us. Which is why most authors in boxed sets join for the marketing exposure and not the money.

And the ugly of boxed sets that I hinted at? I’ve been blessed with my co-authors not to experience any of this, but I’ve heard horror stories about personality conflicts, mediation, stolen royalties, and the like. We prevented a lot of problems early on with clear communication and accountability, but I can see how things could get ugly.

So, there you have it. The good, the bad, and the ugly of boxed sets. I brought a giant (virtual) platter of homemade, gooey cinnamon rolls to share while we chat. Oh, and as an additional treat, I’m also giving away an electronic copy of one of my books. Just join the conversation to be put in the drawing.

Do you enjoy collections? What new authors have you discovered through boxed sets? Which of your favorite authors would you love to see work together on a set? And if you’ve been on the author-side of such a collection (and I know there were a few original Seeker collections…), what did you gain from the experience?

P.S. Remember that steal of deal at .99? The pre-order special ends on Mother’s Day so if you like Contemporary Christian romance, grab your copy of Love is in the Air today.

--------

Love is in the Air: 5 Contemporary Christian Romances
https://books2read.com/u/3LDxaD  ~ Preorder Price of .99

This collection of five brand new romances is sure to send your heart soaring. Journey from Canada to Georgia and Colorado to Paris by way of Michigan as these couples find love is in the air. All they had to do was look up.

Titles include:

First Class, Wrong Flight by Laura V. Hilton
A Castle in the Clouds by Candee Fick
Flying into Love by Kathleen Rouser
Written in the Clouds by Kathleen Friesen
To Gain Forever by Tanya Eavenson
-------
BIO: Candee Fick is a multipublished, award-winning author. She is also the wife of a high school football coach and the mother of three children, including a daughter with a rare genetic syndrome. When not busy writing, editing, or coaching other authors, she can be found cheering on the home team at sporting events, exploring the great Colorado outdoors, indulging in dark chocolate, and savoring happily-ever-after endings through a good book.

Want to connect? Sign up for her email list or check out her website www.CandeeFick.com


32 comments:

  1. Candee, welcome to Seekerville!!!! I'm so glad you're here.

    The Seekers did a bunch of boxed sets several years ago. We had lots of fun... we did historical and contemporary collections. We didn't do the .99 thing, we sold at $2.99 and ran sales throughout the year. For us that worked well, but I've also been part of a 16 author .99 collection and that sold like crazy (not because of me but the very smart women running the show) and we did well with that, too. It's not for the faint of heart, but it's a wonderful way to get our names in new hands. Congratulations on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As for our pricing strategy, we took a poll and compromised. Pre-orders for super cheap and then the price will go up a bit during release week and finally land on $2.99 with probably the occasional sale after that.

      I can't imagine organizing 16 authors! But I'm glad that one got your words into many new hands.

      Delete
  2. I would like to try this sometime with the right theme and the right group of fellow authors. The closest I cam was a novella in last year's Pelican Christmas Extravaganza. Wasn't exactly a boxed set, but the publisher promoted us all together and that opened a few more doors. I'm not ruling out doing it in the future. Seriously I'm not ruling out anything including self-pub, because it is such a brave new world out there.
    Candee, I have one of your books, I think it's "Dance With Me." You live in Colorado? We spent four years in the Colorado Springs area. One year in the Springs and the next three in Fountain. My husband was in Bible college and both our children were born out there.
    It is raining hard and cold here. good writing weather, not too good for anything else. I met my writing goals for April, even though I didn't meet any other goals. I guess that's something.
    Ruthy is right, it's not for the faint of heart. But these days nothing is, right?
    Your Kaybee
    Watching the rain fall in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do live in Colorado. Where we've had snow followed by heat. I could do with a nice spring shower right about now.

      And it certainly is a brave new world where creativity is precious and authors are willing to try new things in terms of marketing. Congratulations on meeting your writing goals! That IS definitely something to cheer about.

      Delete
  3. Good morning, Candee. Welcome back to Seekerville. I always enjoy hosting you!!

    I love how you built your theme around spring. After a winter like ours, it's definitely a welcome sign of Hope. (I live just a few towns south of Candee and we had more of the white stuff this year than I needed.)

    The Seekers created a number of boxed sets - both contemporary and historical - and the process and end-product were a joy to be part of. The Seekers had been together for a while when we thought of creating the collection and we had pretty definitive writing styles so it was easy to break our books into categories.

    How did you determine who was going to be in your collection?

    So, I woke extra early this morning and loaded the buffet with hot cinnamon rolls, baked Belgium waffles, a cold berry bowl and of course, whipped cream to dollop on everything! Oh, and coffee, too. There's a special of cup of Starbucks on the end for you, Candee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starbucks? You read my mind! I miss my favorite drink...but mostly the space to get in the zone and pound out those words. Recreating that at home has been virtually impossible, but I keep trying.

      To answer your question, my critique partner is the one to pull us all together. Laura V. Hilton was going to be in a different set but when it fell apart, she started looking for writing friends to create a collection. When a few authors had to drop out due to other deadlines, one of them recommended a replacement but otherwise Laura is our common denominator.

      Delete
    2. Candee, I also miss writing in coffee shops. And the library. Sometimes it's good to just get off-site.

      Delete
    3. I continue to stand in awe of the words you get written with a bit of noise and the aroma of freshly brewed coffee surrounding you :) I'm glad the collection came together as it did. I caught bits and pieces of the plot of A Castle In The Clouds, so I have an idea... AND, I love your other Castle books, so win-win for me!

      Delete
  4. Audra, our Starbucks has been closed for weeks! You may have a stampede for Candee's special cup.
    Candee, I enjoy collections! It introduces me to new authors, and I'm rarely disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I feel your pain but hands off my cup! Our Starbucks went to "grab and go" and then drive-thru only. But since I mostly went there to sit and write, it just wasn't quite the same. I'm looking forward to the day I can go back there even if I have to maneuver my coffee-drinking around a mask.

      As an avid reader, I'm like you. I love collections! Not just because of the new authors but also my budget stretches a whole lot further. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Jackie, I hope Starbucks around the world open soon. We'll hear a collective sigh of thanks the day doors are unlocked and we hear the words, "Grande? Venti? LOL!

      Delete
  5. Candee, welcome!! I discovered you in a box set of yours when it was on sale. I was hooked with "Catch of a Lifetime" because I love a good football story :) I love being able to try new authors, especially with smaller works like novellas, and for a cheaper price. My biggest problem with reading on my kindle is that if the book isn't sitting on a big pile where I have to walk over it, I often pick something up and forget about it.

    And I live in South Dakota so I understand about how spring comes late to us out here in the Mountain Time Zone. My tulips are just starting to open, but no matter how late it comes, spring always shows up eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, I'd forgotten about that set but I'm glad you found it! My trad publisher put together a bundle of my first three books even though two were in a series and Catch of a Lifetime was a standalone.

      I hear you about losing books on the Kindle. Sometimes I purposely sort my library by oldest first just to shake a little virtual dust off the stack.

      Thanks for the reminder that spring always shows up eventually. There is hope and light at the end of this dark tunnel even if we have to be patient in the meantime.

      Delete
    2. Glynis! Tulips!

      Our crocuses are showing their brave blossoms...and then the deer munch them down to the ground. I need to invest in some serious deer deterrent.

      Delete
    3. Glynis, I understand what you mean about losing your books on kindle. I have gone to order a book only to discover I had already bought it. Sometimes I go through and write them all down in a notebook so I can look at that to see what I have.

      Delete
    4. That's a good idea, Sandy.

      Delete
  6. Hi, Candee and welcome back to Seekerville! I think everybody is ready for spring this year. The sunshine and warmer temps are just we need to revive us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It certainly makes it appealing to get outside for that perk-up-my-spirits walk.

      Delete
  7. Good morning, Candee!

    I love "April snow makes May things grow." I'm in the Black Hills (near Glynis) and we've had the same snow/sun/snow cycle you've been enjoying. Last night we had a thunderstorm come through. Definitely a sign of spring!

    Your take on boxed sets was perfect. I've wondered about the nuts and bolts of publishing them. Someday I might take the plunge.

    Thanks for being here today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I've driven through the Black Hills several times, especially while my oldest son was attending college in Chadron, Nebraska. Rapid City was the closest "big" town and whenever we were up to see him play basketball, we'd take a drive further north to see a few sights. Especially the buffalo. Pretty country!

      The nuts and bolts of publishing are very similar to that of any other indie-published book, just with a different cover image graphic and multiple authors to list. It's been an interesting experience to try even if we never dreamed the pandemic would be messing with our release plans.

      Good luck keeping the deer away from your pretty flowers...

      Delete
    2. Candee, I didn't realize you have a Nebraska connection. I live in south central Nebraska, a long way from Chadron, but I know that area well.

      Delete
  8. Candee, I enjoyed this post and I pre-ordered the book. (A little pre-Mother's Day present to myself!)The stories look good. I enjoy these collections. I have discovered new-to-me authors in collections, although none come to mind at the moment. I look forward to when this will pop up on my kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love those gifts to yourself. I may have indulged in a few literary pre-orders of my own... ;-)

      Delete
  9. As someone working on a trilogy with two other authors right now, this post was super timely and gave me more to think about. Thanks for sharing some of your experience and congratulations on your new release! I have discovered a few authors I love through sets, and, unfortunately, some I didn't like as much. But for 99 cents, it was a deal anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Some in a collection might not be our cup of tea, but at least we didn't invest a lot of money in the process of that discovery. Still, even though I know reading tastes are subjective, I'm always amazed when I see that my least favorite in a group was top of someone else's list. But at least *that* author found a new fan.

      Delete
  10. I don’t read ebooks so these collections always look interesting but I understand why they aren’t printed. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those printing costs sure close the door on the option. However, many authors in sets like this go on to release their titles individually later and those books can often also be found in print. So I suppose you could use sets as a screening device to put a title or author on a future wish list.

      Delete
  11. Hi, Candee! Welcome back to Seekerville, and congrats on releasing another boxed set collection! It looks like a fun read, and at just $.99 you get a lot of bang for your buck as a reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bang for your buck. Amen. That's hours of entertainment for a fraction of a movie theater admission. Congratulations on your recent release! It's on my Kindle now waiting for the work week to get over...

      Delete
    2. I hope you enjoy the story!! :)

      Delete
  12. I like boxed sets or novella collections because I get to discover new to me authors. I prefer print copies for reading, but the price and instant access to ebooks are hard to beat. Congrats on the upcoming release Candee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Candee, thanks for a great post on boxed sets. I wish you all the success in the world. I have been in a multi-genre set for the International Digital Awards and while it was fun to see my names among some true giants it was a huge amount of work. We left it going for a year, then pulled it. We did make money, but sure didn't get rich off it.

    Here's to a Starbucks in your hand as soon as it's safe,
    Hugs, L.A. Sartor

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."