Monday, March 21, 2022

Don't Coddle Your Darlings! Using Conflict in Our Stories

 


I'm sure you've heard about the importance of letting a butterfly fight its way out of a cocoon without help - they must struggle or they will die. 
The same with chicks breaking out of an egg. Hatching is a process in which the chick fights and struggles...and rests...while it matures enough to live outside the shell.

The point is - struggle is natural. It's healthy. It's how things grow.

Think of a baby learning to walk: There's your little darling, so wobbly on those fat stumpy legs! Do you coddle that sweet thing? Not if you're wise. You let them try to take a step - fall - and try another step. Before you know it, you have a toddler!

Why am I repeating myself here? Because almost every author goes through the same thing - we have trouble bringing enough conflict into our stories. Softheartedness and compassion will cause us to coddle our darlings, but we must not let ourselves do it!

If we don’t let our characters go through tough times we won’t have a story.

Think of some of the great stories you’ve read or seen as a movie – we’ll look at one that most of us know: The Lord of the Rings – the movie version.

When we meet Frodo, he’s a likable sort of lad. He likes to read (a big plus!) and he’s good friends with a wizard. Life is good for Frodo, and before we’re very far into the story, he’s the lord of the manor.

Wouldn’t you love to live in the idyllic Shire? One big advantage is that everyone expects you to be a little chubby!

Except that nothing much happens. If the entire movie – okay, the entire trilogy – stayed in the Shire, following the day-to-day lives of Frodo and his friends… *yawn* … Can you imagine the extended version? Nine hours of watching hobbits eat?

The story doesn’t start until conflict enters in the form of the Black Riders coming to the Shire to find the Ring.

In my February post, (you can read it here) we started outlining a romance story. Our hero and heroine were Benjamin and Heather (no relation to Benjamin and Heather Drexler.)

The day Heather Vetsch and Benjamin Drexler were married!

I started the plotting (using mirrored plot points to create a chiasm) and our own Debby Giusti moved the story along by adding a couple more plot points.

In the beginning of our story, Benjamin works for a company that produces accessible community playgrounds. He has selected the perfect site for the new playground and all he needs is permission from the planning commission.


Heather is a teacher who loves children and wants the best for them. But she has heard about the planned playground and opposes it because of problems with the proposed site.

There’s the beginning of the conflict.

Remember, as much as we like our hero and heroine, we can’t coddle our darlings. We must ramp up the conflict.

Will our characters suffer? Yes.

Will they be better and stronger because of the suffering? Yes.


 So, how do we find right conflict for these characters?

This is where character development comes in. We find the right conflict by delving into our characters’ pasts. We need to determine what happened in their past to give them a memory that they stuffed deep into a hole in their minds and won’t bring out again – until they’re faced with a situation that breaks their carefully constructed life into pieces.

One super-helpful resource for this process is The Story Equation by Susan May Warren.


For Heather, it’s her dad’s death. He worked at the battery plant that was once on the piece of land earmarked for the playground. She is convinced that the cancer that killed him came from years of working in the toxic environment of the plant, but can’t prove it. Her goal is to prevent the city from using that piece of ground for anything until she can convince the EPA to test the area for lingering toxins.

For Benjamin, it’s his little brother who was born with spina bifida. His passion is to build playgrounds that are accessible for all kids. He has watched his brother shoved to the sidelines because there was no way for him to play safely while confined to a wheelchair. His goal is to provide a place for kids like his brother to have fun.

Do you see how their goals are heading in different directions? When they collide, that’s conflict!

And as the story goes along, there will be one conflict after another – just when we think we’ve reached a resolution, another twist comes along and ramps the conflict up again.

Meanwhile, as our characters face these conflicts they are growing and changing. Making decisions and living with the consequences. And by the end of the story, coming to a satisfying resolution.

Next month we’ll talk about resolving conflicts, and how some of the consequences of those resolutions can lead to more conflict.

Creating conflict for our characters is one of the hardest things for an author to do, especially when we're just starting out. But can never let ourselves be tempted to coddle our darlings!

Have you faced this problem in your writing? How did you solve it?


 

 

29 comments:

  1. Good post, Jan. Conflict IS hard for me. The more I like the character, the harder it is. But I'm learning to Make It Worse.
    It's analogous to life on this Earth. Sort of. Life on earth is a training ground for Christians. If we have it too easy, we will never test ourselves, trust in God and be fit for Heaven.
    That's my thought for the day. Juggling plates, which is also part of life on earth, and may be back later.
    Kathy Bailey
    Your Kaybee
    Making It Worse in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Kathy!

      I'm juggling plates in the Black Hills today, too. :-)

      Your comment reminds me of a couple Bible verses that point to the same thing - James 1:2-5 and Romans 5:3-4. Both passages talk about trials producing character that leads us to perfection in Christ.

      And you are so right about how hard the whole growth process is when we like our characters! We want them to be likable from the get-go, so it's hard to make them suffer.

      I think I need to put a sticky note with "Make It Worse" on my computer!

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Seekerville!

    We have the breakfast buffet set up, and we're loading up on the virtual calories! Donuts, eggs & bacon, and fluffy cinnamon rolls dripping with caramel sauce. And coffee and tea brewed to order. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, Jan! I made the March 15th deadline and submitted to the Love Inspired Author Search (please pray for me!) My story was the first romantic suspense I've ever tried. The problem I ran into was finding the right balance. First I would have all talk and no action. Then I would throw everything but the kitchen sink at them and it would sound ridiculous, unrealistic, and almost comical when I read back through it. It took revision after revision after revision to finally land in the middle and make it feel right. I hope it feels right to the editors, too. Have a marvelous Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Terri! Congratulations for entering the author search!!! That's a HUGE thing to put your writing out there like that!

      And YES! I can attest to trying to strike the perfect balance between narration and dialogue. But it sounds like you went about it the right way - you got the story down and then revised (and revised) until you were happy with it!

      Best wishes on the author search! Meanwhile, keep writing! This time, while you're waiting to hear about your entry, is the perfect time to start developing your next story. :-)

      Delete
    2. That's awesome, Terri! Praying for great things :)

      Delete
    3. Wishing you the best on your submission, Terri!

      Delete
    4. Congrats, Terri! Submitting is huge! You're a winner just for that so pat yourself on the back. Keep us posted!

      Delete
    5. Thanks to all of you! The support and encouragement I find here at Seekerville is such a blessing as I try to navigate my way through the writing life. And the prayers are so very appreciated!

      Delete
    6. Terri Lynn! Congratulations and best of luck to you! I am so proud of you!!!!

      Delete
  4. This is a great post, Jan! As a reader I despise conflict between the characters and the 'dark moment' but i know without it the story wouldn't have much meat. Then again, I don't especially love conflict in my own life either haha. I would much prefer life to be smooth sailing... but the times I've grown most in my relationship with Jesus and as a person have been during tough times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we readers don't like conflict when we've already connected with the characters - if we didn't care about them, we wouldn't care if they hit a snag in their story, would we?

      And I'm with you on the smooth sailing - in real life, there's much to be said for boring and non-eventful. But then how would we grow in Christ?
      I've learned to trust God in good times and bad, knowing He knows when I need trials and when I need rest.

      Delete
  5. Great post, Jan. I don't like conflict in real life or my stories, either. I always need to keep adding it in my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think conflict is one of hardest things to include in our stories! I always have trouble with it, too.

      In real life I avoid it at almost any cost!

      Delete
  6. Great post, Jan! Conflict is one of the hardest things for me to get right. I love the conflict in your Heather and Benjamin story idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows? Maybe I'll actually write Heather and Benjamin's story by the time we reach the end of this series of posts!

      Delete
  7. I'm not a writer, but we readers need a little conflict! Not so much that they can't overcome, but enough to keep us reading and wondering what's going to happen next. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As readers, we want to root for the characters as they overcome the conflicts, don't we? It gives us the satisfaction of watching them win.

      Thanks for stopping by, Connie! It's always good to see you here!

      Delete
  8. Jan, I love this story. Yes, you should write it! :)

    When I started writing full-length fiction, I never hurt my main characters. They were perfect people with perfect lives...and they were so dull! Boo! Hiss! Then I started wounding them and found how those wounds--physical or psychological--made my characters come alive. Those wounds added conflict, and as we know, conflict needs to be on every page, right?

    Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debby!

      Yes! Conflict on every page! Great for the readers, no matter how hard it is for the authors. But it's worth it to write a great story.

      Delete
  9. When I was new and raw and fairly stupid I was always FIXING EVERYTHING for them.... which isn't something I ever did for my kids, I was a sink-or-swim kind of mother (that explains so much, doesn't it???? EEEK!!!! but I didn't carry that over to my work. How silly!!!!
    It took me a long while to get the pacing of problems and anguish right.

    But, once I did figure it out, I've never forgotten. It's like learnin' to ride the bike of publishing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! We want to FIX things! After all, we have the power to give our characters a Happily-Ever-After whenever we want, right?

      But then...no story.

      Throw the darlings into the deep end! :-)

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed reading this as a reader to see what authors go through.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am definitely the soft-hearted writer. My stories are so dull! I've learned so much from you, Jan, about how to write good conflict. And I'm still learning. This post is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still find it hard to write convincing conflict!

      Delete
  12. Wonderful post, Jan! Great tips and illustration. Conflict is almost always a challenge, particularly for new writers. But once one grasps to concept (raising hand), it actually becomes kind of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm loving about writing mysteries - the conflict is already part of the plotline. My sleuth just needs to figure out how to defeat the bad guy!

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."